Talcum powder was a staple of health care for decades. However, talcum powder companies hid information that linked talcum powder to cancer. Today, these companies are facing thousands of lawsuits. You may be able to file a lawsuit and receive compensation if you regularly used talcum powder and later developed cancer.
What is a Talcum Powder Lawsuit?
Talcum powder was used regularly for over 100 years. It was very popular among mothers, who used it to treat diaper rash for their babies because of its cooling and moisture absorbing properties. It was also used as a deodorant, a dry shampoo, and a feminine hygiene product.
Despite these uses, talcum powder companies like Johnson & Johnson® have faced tens of thousands of lawsuits in recent years. These lawsuits claim that consistent talcum powder use caused innocent people to develop deadly forms of cancer.
From recent lawsuits, talcum powder has been linked to:
- Lung cancer
- Ovarian cancer
- Stomach cancer
- Uterine cancer
Though talcum powder companies claim their products are safe, the number of lawsuits involving these companies has increased dramatically in recent years.
If you believe that you developed cancer from using talcum powder, you may also be able to file a lawsuit. Through a talcum powder lawsuit, you may receive compensation to pay for your medical treatments.
Filing a Talcum Powder Lawsuit
Lawsuits can seem very complicated. However, it is in your best interests to file a lawsuit if talcum powder may have caused your illness.
Your illness could have been easily prevented. Talcum powder companies knew for decades that their products may cause cancer. These billion-dollar companies now expect you to pay for the illnesses they directly caused.
A talcum powder lawsuit can:
- Help pay for medical treatment: Treating talc-related illnesses can be extremely expensive. For example, the cost of cancer treatments alone can cost tens of thousands of dollars. This does not account for the added costs of hospital stays, therapy plans, and lost income if you can no longer work. Compensation from a lawsuit may help you cover these costs.
- Hold major companies accountable: Instead of warning anyone or recalling their products, talcum powder companies actively worked to hide the dangers of their products. In the process, they made billions of dollars while innocent people suffered.
To increase your odds of success, work with a law firm that has successfully handled talcum powder cases before. Sokolove Law may be right for you. Our firm has the experience and resources to help you get as much compensation as possible from your lawsuit.
Filing Your Lawsuit With Sokolove Law
For over 40 years, Sokolove Law has stood up to corporations who have put their profits ahead of innocent people. If you have a valid case, our lawyers will work on your behalf to get you financial compensation.
The lawyers at Sokolove Law:
- Can file a case in almost any state
- Charge no upfront fees and only get paid if your case is successful
- Provide equal access to the justice system regardless of ethnicity or income
- Have recovered over $7.7 Billion for their clients
When you work with Sokolove Law, your legal team will handle most of the legal work associated with filing a lawsuit. Their goal is to make the legal process easier for you so you can focus on your health.
What Companies Will Be Sued?
As you speak with your legal team, they will want to know what talcum powder products you used. The companies that made these products may be the ones that are sued.
There are some exceptions, though. If the company has gone out of business, it cannot be sued. In addition, if the company in question was absorbed or merged with another, then that new company can be sued.
That being said, some high-profile talcum powder companies are still in business today — even as they face thousands of lawsuits.
Johnson & Johnson and Talcum Powder Lawsuits
In recent years, Johnson & Johnson has become arguably the biggest target for talcum powder lawsuits.
As of 2019, the company is facing over 13,000 lawsuits, which claim that talc in Johnson & Johnson’s products led to deadly forms of cancer. Compare this to 2016, when the company faced less than 2,000 talcum powder lawsuits.
Johnson & Johnson has consistently denied that its products are cancerous. However, a recent report from Reuters, an investigative journalism organization, claims the opposite.
According to Reuters, Johnson & Johnson knew for decades that their talc-based products led to deadly forms of cancer. Instead of acknowledging these risks, the company concealed the facts and continued to use talc in many of its products.
This information only came to light in recent years after lawsuits made company documents publicly available. However, despite the growing number of lawsuits, some Johnson & Johnson products still contain talcum powder.
Lawsuit Timelines & Compensation Amounts
There is no way to estimate how long a talcum powder lawsuit will take. The amount of compensation a person may receive also varies with each case.
Talcum Powder Lawsuit Steps
- Depending on your case, it may be more valuable to file it alone or bundle it with similar cases. Sokolove Law will recommend which option may award you with the most compensation.
- Most lawsuits are settled before the case goes to trial. Through a settlement, neither party is found at fault, and you will receive a lump sum of money. Settlements typically can be reached more quickly than taking the case before a jury.
- If no agreement can be reached in a settlement, the case will go to trial. It usually takes longer to receive compensation from a trial, and there is no guarantee you will win. That being said, a trial can award you with a larger payout than a settlement. Some recent trial verdicts have awarded millions or billions to those with talcum powder cancer.
Recent verdicts from talcum powder lawsuits include:
- $4.7 Billion to 22 women: In this landmark case, 22 women claimed that Johnson & Johnson talcum powder caused their ovarian cancer. This verdict was awarded in July 2018. Johnson & Johnson has tried to appeal the verdict but has not been successful.
- $70 Million to a woman with terminal cancer: In 2016, courts awarded this payout to a California woman with ovarian cancer. She was first diagnosed in 2013 after using Johnson’s Baby Powder for over 50 years.
- $29 Million to a California woman: A jury recently sided with a woman who had cancer that lined her internal organs. According to the New York Times, the woman had used talc products from Johnson & Johnson for over 30 years. She was first diagnosed with cancer in 2017 and won the case in 2019.
File Your Talcum Powder Lawsuit with Sokolove Law
As more and more lawsuits link talcum powder to deadly forms of cancer, one thing becomes clear: companies put profits over people. You may qualify for compensation if your talcum powder usage led to a cancer diagnosis.
Working with an experienced law firm can make the legal process easier and increase your chances of success. Since 1979, Sokolove Law has recovered billions for people harmed by corporate greed. If you qualify, we may be able to help you as well.