Parents File Suit after Girl Swallows 15 Buckyballs

by Sokolove Law

The parents of a girl who swallowed 15 Buckyballs – a popular toy made of high-powered magnets – have sued the manufacturer and distributor.

Courthouse News Service reports the suit claims the girl was completely immobilized after swallowing the rare earth magnets and required surgery to have them removed from her abdomen. The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) recalled Buckyballs in May 2010, about two years before the girl swallowed them. The magnet toy was purchased in September 2010 for the girl’s older sister.

Both Wonder Works, the maker of the toy, and the distributor, Maxfield & Oberton Holdings, are named in the suit, which seeks compensatory and punitive damages and court costs for negligence, negligent hiring, breach of warranty, product liability, and unfair trade, according to Courthouse News Service.

Ingestion of two or more such magnets may lead to pinching of intestinal walls and result in severe health complications such as tissue damage and possibly sepsis or even death.

If you or a loved one has been harmed by an unsafe product, contact Sokolove Law for a free legal consultation and to find out if a product liability lawyer may be able to help you.

Parents File Suit after Girl Swallows 15 Buckyballs was last modified: December 28th, 2016 by Sokolove Law