What are the signs that a birth injury has occurred?
An injury at birth may be evident immediately after delivery. However, in some cases symptoms of a birth injury may not appear until months or even years later.
Early signs of a birth injury may include:
- Abrasions, bruises or swelling on the infant’s face, head or shoulder
- Seizures that develop within 48 hours
- The infant’s failure to begin breathing immediately following delivery
- An infant requiring resuscitation (CPR, breathing tube) at the time of delivery
- A “floppy” appearance indicating lack of muscle tone
- One arm that is limp in appearance
Birth injury symptoms that can appear later in a child’s development include:
- Lack of muscle coordination
- Failure or delay in reaching developmental milestones
- Inability to roll over, sit up, crawl or walk
These signs and symptoms are meant to be basic guidelines. Only a doctor can properly diagnose a birth injury. If you think your child is showing signs of delayed development, consult a doctor. If you believe your child has a birth injury that may have been caused by negligent medical care, one of our birth injury lawyers may be able to help.
Sokolove Law has nearly 40 years of experience representing families like yours in birth injury cases. Our team of registered nurse case managers will listen to your concerns and help get your questions answered.
Call Sokolove Law today or fill out the form in this page for a free, confidential consultation.